Saturday, October 10, 2009

What matters to me, matters to God

Its been almost two weeks plus I returned from Cambodia.Its about time I write down whatever is in my heart before I completly forget them.

This trip was definitely the best six days in my life this year.

I truly believe that I was in the right place at the right time doing the right thing for the Lord. I was people I loved and cared about.Six days together with 12 ladies does something to your heart. It gels each of us together in ways you never thought possible. I was touched to the very core of my being just being with the Cambodians and reaching out to them.I went to give.... but i received much more than I could ever imagine. Something happened to my heart. I came back different.I dont think I will ever view life the same again. You know, once something occupies my mind,I cant stop talking about it.So when i returned to Sibu, the place where i work... I just could not stop talkin about Cambodia. Each class i entered i talked about Cambodia.I taught my students some Khmer words and told them my experience in Cam.I told bout the spiders on my bed, the brown water I had to bath in, the food I had to close one eye and eat, all types of insects I had o sleep with...etc

I also opened up their hearts and eyes to the state of poverty of the people of Cambodia. I shared the story of the high school students on the bus with us from baray to phnom penh who didnt have proper shoes and clothes and how difficult it was for them to enter university when they had no money.I told them how my team and I left some of our belongings behind for the Cambodians to have them.I remember parting with one of my favourite shoes.I knew deep in my heart that i could easily give away something that i did not want but to give away something that I loved very much,it must have truly been the hand of the Lord.

I reminded them of how blessed they were to have so much in their lives and yet sometimes never be satisfied.Of how easy their lives are and the struggles they do not face.I also threw them a challenge.I ask them to think about giving something to the Cambodians, to do their part in reaching out to others and to learn to see the need in other peoples life.When I threw the challenge,I was not sure of the response I would get.I just said a prayer to God.I told God that its not my words that touched their hearts.Let it be Yours. I asked God to work in their hearts.

Over the next few days, I received all sorts of stuff....clothes, bags, pencils,toys,stickers and so on. Students started giving and I just stood amazed.GOD TOUCHED THEIR HEARTS. Some even came and asked about the students in Cambodia and condition of living there. I asked my students to write notes on the stuff they gave for the Cambodians.I thanked them for being a part of this vision to reach out to others. I even shared with some of colleagues on my experience to Cambodia.

Visions and dreams and passion can be caught.We need to speak up what God has put in our heart so that others too can be part of that vision.If I had never spoken to my students about Cambodia, they would never had a chance to be touched by God to give.They would never have known the difficulties faced by students in other countries. Now they know what matters most to me.

REACHING OUT AND HELPING OTHERS.

FOR WHATEVER MATTERS TO ME...MATTERS TO GOD TOO!

12 comments:

all3 said...

Well written...well done...well shared...

To God be the glory!

Rachel Olsen said...

So glad I came over here tonight and caught this great post. How inspiring, Sheena!

(But the spiders and insects in the bed gave me shudders!)

Leslie Andrew & Sheena Jeremiah said...

Rejoice & be glad! You are found faithful to God !

(i thank God for His protection from insects & spiders)

Cheng K. said...

Wow...if you have spiders and insects as sleeping companions and you are still raving about how this trip had been the most meaningful 1 week of your life then it must really be the Lord at work...may you continue to ravel in Him and His work in your life...

akmj said...

hey dear!

it can also be "What matters to God, matters to me"
hehehe. cheeky me

rachel: the spiders were scary but thank God it was only TWO!!!

n God DOES protect His children from even spiders and insects! haha.

Sheena said...

hi all..

all3cool- actually i must thank you for getting rid of the second spider gently.If it was me, i would have killed and squashed it passionately as I did the first
Thank you also for your encouragement.

AngelA- Yes indeed, it also could be written what matters to God, matters to me too.Thank for pointing that out.
We only SAW 2 spiders.... what about the ones we didnt see...

Rachel,pst ck- It was truly truly the Lord at work.One touch from God changes life.

Andrew- I thank God for His protection too.Thank you for just being u.

Sweet blesings all

Sheena

Leslie Andrew & Sheena Jeremiah said...

The bible says that nothing by any means hurt you. Shout of victory !!!..you have squashed the power of enemy with a pillow !

**(Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Luke 10:19)

akmj said...

yupz! with a PILLOW alright. and rather PASSIONATELY!!! It's rare to see such PASSION in daily life, what more in killing of spiders ;)

LOL

Cheng K. said...

hey, I'm here again...can't resist putting another comment here if it's nothing more than to say 'hi'..keep on keeping on doing what matters to the Lord of Host...love ya...

Anonymous said...

When are you goin to update your blog dear sister...This shows im reading your blog indeed.

Sunny

Sheena said...

Didnt your mum teach you some patience dear brother.....love ya...

By the way.... look who is having my lab top...

Anonymous said...

not me...your mummy is having it. Mummy must be having some jolly good time with it now..hehe.. thanks for the laptop.. Waiting patiently for your updated blog

Sunny Jeremiah